Vikram Chandra (Novelist) Wiki, Age, Caste, Wife, Children, Family, Biography, etc – WikiBio
Vikram Chandra is a well-known Indian-American writer. In 1996, he published his first novel, The Red Earth, and he won the Commonwealth Writer’s Award in the same year.
Vikram Chandra was born on Sunday 23 July 1961 (Age 60; as of 2021) in New Delhi. His zodiac sign is Leo. He was educated at Mayo College, a boarding school in Ajmer, Rajasthan. Thereafter, he studied briefly at St Xavier’s College in Mumbai. Later, he went to the United States as an undergraduate student. In 1984, he received a BA in English and a degree in creative writing from Pomona College in Claremont, Los Angeles. Shortly after graduating with a bachelor’s degree, he joined the Film School at Columbia University in New York. In 1987, he received a master’s degree from Johns Hopkins University and a master’s degree from the University of Houston.
Height (approximately): 5’4″
hair color: Black
eye color: Black
parents and siblings
His father’s name was Navin Chandra and he was a retired business executive. His mother’s name was Kamnachandra. Kamna has written various Indo-Hindi film and radio scripts.
He has a younger sister named Tanuja Chandra who is a film producer and screenwriter. Tanuja Chandra is also the director of several Indian films. His other sister, Anupama Chopra, is a Bollywood film critic.
Bollywood famous Indian director Vidhu Vinod Chopra is the husband of Anupama Chopra and Vikram Chandra’s brother-in-law.
wife and children
At UC Berkeley, they both teach creative writing. Vikram Chandra lives in Mumbai and Oakland, California, USA. The couple have two daughters named Leela and Darshana.
While studying at Columbia University, he began writing his first novel, Red Earth and the Downpour, and dropped out halfway through. After 1987, he began working as a lecturer at UC Berkeley and George Washington University. The subjects he teaches are – literature and writing. He also worked as a computer programmer and hardware and software consultant while writing his first novel. He serves a variety of companies, including oil companies, nonprofits, and the Houston Zoo. In 1995, his first novel, Red Earth and Downpour, was published in India Penguin/India. In the UK, Faber and Faber and by Little, Brown published his book in the US. The Autobiography of James Skinner – The Irish Prince of Hans of Haryana, a legendary 19th-century Anglo-Indian soldier, author of Vikram Chandra’s first novel Source of inspiration.
In 1997, he published his second book, a collection of short stories called “Mumbai’s Love and Longing”. Shortly after its publication, the book won the Best Book Award in Eurasia and won the Commonwealth Writer’s Award. The book is on the list of nominees for the Guardian Fiction Award.
In 2006, he published his next novel, The Sacred Game. The story of the novel features policeman Sataj Singh, who has appeared in his second book, Mumbai’s Love and Desire. Sacred Games sparked a conflict between major publishers in India, the US and the UK to publish his novel “Sacred Games”.
In June 1997, Vikram Chandra appeared on the cover of The New Yorker as India’s leading novelist. Books and articles by Vikram Chandra have been translated into 20 languages. In 2015, he received a Guggenheim Fellowship. In 2016, Vikram Chandra founded the software startup Granthika Corporation in California. It provides writing tools from word processing to digitally reinventing writing and reading. It’s an online editing platform where writers create knowledge as they write and translate text into semantics.
- 1995: Red Earth and the Downpour: A Novel.
- 1997: “Love and Longing in Bombay: A Story”.
- 2013: Geek Sublime: Writing Fiction, Coding Software.
- 2018: Sacred Games Netflix Companion Part 1.
- 2018: Sacred Games Netflix Companion Part 2.
- In late October 2000, Vikram Chandra co-wrote the script for the film “Kashmir Mission” with Suketu Mehta. Directed by Vidhu Vinod Chopra and Hrithik Roshan, the film stars Sanjay Dutt, Preity Zinta and Jackie Shroff.
- Vikram Chandra’s mother Kamna Chandra was a writer. She began writing for television and radio in the 1950s. Several Hindi movie scripts including Prem Rog and 1942: A Love Story were written by Kamna Chandra. Kamna Chandra has also written various scripts for Doordarshan and All India Radio.
- Vikram Chandra’s sister Tanuja Chandra is a screenwriter and director of several famous Bollywood films. Sur and Sangharsh are two of them.
- His other sister, Anupama Chopra, is a film critic. In 1995, the famous Indian film Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge created by her was a huge success. She is also a writer, author of Sholay: The Making of a Classic. In 1995, the book won a National Film Award for Best Book called Swarn Kamal.
- Chandra began reading modernist authors and books such as The Great Gatsby at the age of 15. In a conversation with the magazine, he said,
Once I start reading [the Modernists], I realized they were doing something to me that I didn’t understand. When I was 15 reading The Great Gatsby in India, I didn’t know anything about it – I had no background, society or symbolism in it – but it still blew me away, how beautiful it was. “
- According to Vikram Chandra, most of his writing ideas flashed in the shower. In an interview, he was asked what he did when he suddenly thought of writing in the shower,
I’ll write it down when I’m out. The shower is actually my most productive work area! It introduces this meditative, peaceful state for you to explore. Sometimes the problem is just clicking the shower. My daughters are mad at me! They complained “How did Dad take such a long bath!”
- In an interview, Vikram Chandra was asked about his name being confused with NDTV CEO Vikram Chandra. He recounts an interesting misidentification incident,
I do get emails from time to time congratulating or cursing me for an interview with a politician. Another Vikram told my sister that he once had a guest on his show congratulating him on winning the Love and Desire award in Mumbai. “
- In an interview, Vikram Chandra revealed the research he did while writing the novel The Sacred Game. He said,
Talk to sociologists, historians and police. The world of policing that I hope to unravel becomes more and more complex as he conducts his research. Crime leads to politics and politics to religion, then national intelligence agencies. And just like that it became 900 pages. “
Thanks for visiting we hope our article Vikram Chandra (Novelist) Wiki, Age, Caste, Wife, Children, Family, Biography, etc – WikiBio
, help us and share the article on Facebook, instagram and e-mail with the hashtag ☑️ #Vikram #Chandra #Novelist #Wiki #Age #Caste #Wife #Children #Family #Biography #WikiBio ☑️!